Friday, January 13, 2012

Estranged family

We lost pretty much all of my husband's family over the hell house debacle. No loss for the most part. They are all a bunch of screwed up nut cases. The only thing that made me sad was not being able to see his niece. My girls lost their cousin. I tried to keep things separate. For Christmas 2010 I sent a card with a gift card in it to his brother with a vague note about trying to keep them out of the mess between his parents and us. No response. At all. Noted.

So today, I took a sub job at her school. I admit, I wasn't planning on working at all today. I still have that portfolio hanging over my head and I had good intentions on doing some serious work on it. Instead, I took the job hoping I would get a chance to talk to her. The chance paid off. I wasn't the sub for her class, but I saw her in the hall before school, and she came into the classroom before class started to talk to me. What a sweet kid. I asked her to stop by after school before she went home to get my phone number to give to her mom. Her mom and my estranged BIL have been divorced for several years. I wasn't sure how to get a hold of her. I always liked her mom, but the divorce wasn't pretty and she was avoiding the whole family. I can't blame her at all. We ran into her while trick or treating this fall, and I kicked myself for not giving her my number then.

So as soon as I got home, I got a Facebook notification. She had looked me up! We had a good conversation and we are hoping to get the three girls together next week. We get our niece back, the girls get their cousin back and all without having to deal with the crazies!! I call that a huge Win-Win.

I love Friday the 13th <3

No comments:

Post a Comment