Wednesday, December 28, 2011

I have been married for 14 years

Technically, that happened yesterday, but I go in spurts with my blogging. My goal this year is to manage a post at least 3 days a week. Anyway....

I have been with my husband longer than I have been without him. We started dating in 1995. When we met I was a 15 year old sophomore in high school. Oh, and I was dating his best friend. Things didn't work out between the friend and I (obviously) but I spent hours on the phone talking to Tom. On Halloween of 1995, he asked me to be his girlfriend. That was 16 years ago this last halloween.

We dated through drama with his family. We dated through him leaving for boot camp (USMC). We broke up twice over stupid shit while he was in NC but we always came back together. We were engaged by that point. He had asked me to marry him before he left, in August of 1996. I was not yet 16. The plan was we would get married in October of 1998 after I turned 18. Then it was moved back to June of 1998 when I graduated high school.

In November of 1997, I managed to talk my parents into signing consent for us to get married in December of 1997. I was still planning on staying at "home" until graduation, but frankly, married marines make more money, and we were hoping to save up some money for a place to live. We had been dating 2 years at that point and my parents loved him, so they said yes.

So December 27, 1997 I married my best friend. We got married in this teeny tiny chapel with just my parents, my siblings and my grandmother present. I wore my mother's wedding dress, which was too big and pinned down the side, and carried silk flowers that we picked up and threw together. Tom wore his uniform right down to his BCGs (or birth control glasses for those unfamiliar). He didn't have his blues yet. Little Bell Chapel provided the music, the decorations, and of course the ceremony. It was beautiful and lovely.





Despite what people most often ask when they find out that I got married at 17, no I was not pregnant. My oldest daughter was legitimately a honeymoon baby. I don't really care so much if people get knocked up before marriage, but I hate the idea that people assume my wedding was a shotgun wedding. Do the math. We married in late December. The kid was born at the end of September. I am guessing New Years conception LOL. I didn't even get a positive pg test until Feb. 

So happy anniversary to my husband and my baby-daddy <3 I still love him so completely. We spent our 14th anniversary eating chili and watching the Red Wings come from behind and kick St. Louis's ass on TV. We are both huge hockey fans. That, my friends, is one of many things I like about him.

No comments:

Post a Comment